yes, i know, i suck at life since moving to new york, i haven’t posted in weeks, but i’ve been busy bla bla bla. however, in between job hunting and bar hopping, i’ve been a-readin’. so here i go a-linkin’.
(1) so much has been said about sex and the city but haters go ahead and hate, i loved it! the only thing i was disappointed with was the blatant sexism of some journalists. OMGZZZZ A CHICK MOVIE MAKES TEH $$$ WTF GET BACK IN TEH KITCHEN!!!
(2) you knew this was coming…my abstiniphobia links of the week! if you didn’t read about the freaky new abstinence-only mag for teens, head to pandagon to see how it is, in fact, 1951. hate to break it to you, but teens are doin’ it. fact.
(3) oh and k-mart is selling abstinence gear to the kiddies (TRUE LOVE WAITS!) but then claims it has nothing to do with abstinence. must’ve skimmed over the description on their website that claims they have drawstring waist, elastic cuffs, and oh yeah, “bold abstinence screen print.” hmmmm….interesting…..
( 8 ) as the supreme court chips away at women’s rights, an upsetting story about the pre-roe coat-hanger abortion days. (have to log in to nytimes to read)
( 10 ) robert jenson’s book getting off: pornography and the end of masculinity has been on my to-read list, and he recently wrote a piece on the construction of masculinity.
(12) heck yes, ancient greek women were powerful!
(13) the plight of the english yobs and their hypermasculinized culture…but why? and who’s to blame?
(14) secular women in turkey are kinda ticked that an article demands that they stop wearing perfume and flirting. cuz that’s adultery, didn’t you know?
(15) nothing says creepy patriarchy in action quite like purity balls. ““Fathers, our daughters are waiting for us,” Mr. Wilson, 49, told the men. “They are desperately waiting for us in a culture that lures them into the murky waters of exploitation. They need to be rescued by you, their dad.”” protect your property, daddy, no one wants the cow if they get the milk for free!
(16) all those stories about moms opting out of the workforce for their kids: total lies!
(17) i’m surprised but i’m not surprised– 90% of young girls report that they’ve been harassed at least once.
( 18 ) watch the video and then sign the letter: sexism might sell, but i’m not buying it!
(19) kudos to model ali michael for discussing her issues with eating disorders and exposing how the fashion world told her (at 5’9″ and 130 lbs) that she was a fatty. f****ers.
(20) and finally, the best for last: seriously watch it. “because when we find ourselves believing that killing a man makes us more of a man but loving a man makes us less of a man, it’s probably time to re-examine our criteria for manhood.”
oh, and finally, the tune i’m spinning, the guy i’m going to stalk (since he now lives in my neighborhood), the “famous” friend of mine whose skills never cease to amaze me, the blog that i’ve been diggin, and the lolcat on my desktop. enjoy!