how’s everyone getting along with female chauvinist pigs? i’m excited for discussions in a few weeks, and i’m hoping you all are too! so here we go, a few links to jog the feminist mind!
1. the washington post thinks feminism isn’t focused enough to remain successful. we’ve lost our focus by being too inclusive and interested in intersections with race and class. sounds like the debate brought up in not my mother’s sister, no? i don’t agree with the writer (she weeps for the marginalized white upper-class feminists, boo hoo it’s untrue), but it’s an interesting article nonetheless. i would love to hear what you all think.
2. why is it that even as household chores become more egalitarian between men and women, companies still choose to only depict women in their housework ads? an interesting article on a topic that greatly interests me (because jean kilbourne is still my hero).
3. was anyone else horribly offended by the jackasses over at fox news for their story on obama’s supposed terrorist fist jab? are. you. freaking. serious? and then they go and call michelle obama baby mama. hey racism/sexism, glad to see you’re still at home at fox news! for more, check out the newly launched michelle obama watch.
4. planned parenthood of minnesota, north dakota, south dakota have set up a blog so you can keep up with the latest news as the anti-choicers in south dakota are still attempting to curb reproductive rights.
5. a part 2 to a link i shared last week, this time it’s the female version of why we hate the kids in the uk. young women are gettin rowdy in england and damn it, that’s unacceptable! ladies must show self-control at all times! reign it in, amy winehouse!
6. here in new york there was a fashion meets finance event, where the men were in finance and the women were, well, fashionable. because every label-loving-arm-candy-greed-whore needs her a rich man. and that’s sad.
7. turns out that homosexual couples are more egalitarian than heterosexual couples. yet another reason to ban gay marriage, because no one wants equality in the household.
8. this is what a clinic would look like if mccain won the election. watch and consider what it means to support this man.
9. a cute short article reminding women that there is nothing feminist about male-bashing and that if we as women demand respect from men, we should therefore be respectful in return. amen!
10. let’s hope something comes of this: the ever-powerful who’s who of fashion met to discuss the skinny obsession on the runway. let’s try to promote a healthier image on the runways and in print, okay michael kors?
11. almost nothing makes me more upset than the topic of hymenoplasty. new york times did a piece on its growing popularity in europe, and feministing has great commentary about it:
“And it is not about being able to have sex or not, it is the way it makes a man feel on his wedding night to know that another man has had sex with her. It is the control of female sexuality pure and simple because if she did it before she has already been used by another man, she has become property of the one before, as opposed to the one she married. It creates that inexplicable fear and anxiety that is often the basis of misogyny.”
12. i only recently heard about this documentary, the education of shelby knox, earlier this week and i want to watch it now! it’s about a young girl who questions the (church-led) sex education in her small texas hometown and fights for change. anyone know where i can see it?? check out the trailer and be inspired.
13. a great article for our male readers on how to be a male entering into the feminist blogosphere. we’ve discussed this before, but this article is fab, but i’d love to hear what our dudes think of it. agree? disagree?
that’s all i’ve got for the week, i’ve been kind of busy entertaining my aussie houseguest, but i promise more next week! i hope you all thanked your fathers today!
and as usual, the lolcat on my desktop, the real reason i moved to new york, the website i’ve been meaning to read to help me with my LOST withdrawal, and my glorious debut on brooklyn vegan (well…kind of….the sixth picture in you can see my friend’s backs…and my feet….i’m short, ok? they blocked me. still counts.)