yes, yes, yes. mayhem has let BTW fall to the wayside. she’s been rather busy, i’ll have you know, what with procuring herself a full time job in teh sitee. the rumors are true, she has become a cubicler. but on the plus side they sent her to DC for a glorious reunion with spitfire. so said job is not so bad, it just tends to keep her from blogging. or staying awake past 10.
shall we do a little linking??
1. even though i’ve been absent, you know i’m still abstinephobic. thank you, new yorker, for pointing out that the majority of evangelical christians argue against sex before marriage and for abstinence teaching in schools, and yet they lose their virginity before most other religious groups, at the average age of 16. could…abstinence rhetoric….not? be working?? baaaah? hypocrisy??
2. in argentina over 100 journalists have signed a petition promising to use non-sexist language when covering gender-based violence. i really hope this gets media attention.
3. think banning gay marriage is a good idea? watch this video where they have replaced the term “gay marriage” with “interracial marriage” in a anti-gay marriage ad running in california. just watch. and see how you feel.
4. an interview with sarah haskins, my girlcrush and host of target women.
5. in case you’re still on the fence, listen to catharine mackinnon when she says that obama is the way forward for women. (don’t always agree with mackinnon, but this op-ed is awesome.)
6. the future of feminism requires second and third-wave feminists to band together and vote for women’s rights, which may mean not voting for a woman.
7. apparently women are fearless, men are silent. why, you ask? because women can say another woman is beautiful, while if a man says another man is attractive that means he’s *gasp* G-A-Y. a well-meaning article written horribly.
8. want to know why you shouldn’t let your young daughter drink? cuz she’ll get raped if she does. well, it’s either your fault or her fault for the rape. not, you know, THE RAPISTS.
9. according to dear abby, women should pay for birth control and shouldn’t ask their partner to pay to cover half the cost. the best part about this post is the comments left, and how many women said they never thought to ask their boyfriends to help pay. and i find that interesting.
10. want to know why men cheat on their wives? it’s the woman’s fault, naturally. and if it was on oprah, you KNOW it’s true!!
11. if you read this blog often, you know how much i hate machismo ads. well i’m pissed off again. “if you convinced her the photos were for your private collection, you’re a mitchum man.” oh. my. effing. god.
12. the must read of the post…on defining the third wave, a topic every bucking the waver enjoys…
i have so many more stories on my google reader backlog, but after an 8 hour day in front of a computer at work, all i want to do right now is continue reading this or start watching this. so please, leave links of interest to you in the comments section, this poodle’s far behind in her feminist news and fears she won’t be passing this next installment.
finally, as usual, the show i can’t wait to begin again, the film i really can’t wait for (and am still ticked i don’t get to see next month), the daily puppy that made me miss my baby back home, the place i want to be this wednesday evening, the new blog on my google reader, and the song that’s been stuck in my head for the past week (yeah…i don’t know why either…)